- Issue Time
Electrostatic discharge on the customer’s body leads to a fuel tank
Case 2: Electrostatic discharge on the customer’s body leads to a fuel tank
On the morning of December 19, 2002, Lu Hong, a fueler at the gas station in the city of Linghai Petroleum Company in Liaoning Province. After filling up the Santana sedan with gasoline, when the female driver locked the fuel tank cap, the static electricity generated on her body was conducted to the fuel tank. The fuel tank suddenly caught fire. The flame sprayed from the fuel tank nozzle nearly a foot high and ignited the fur coat of the driver when the driver was backing at a loss. The fueler Lu Hong rushed over and covered the fuel tank mouth with his leather gloves. After three seconds, the fire went out due to suffocation. After the gloves were removed, black smoke still came out of the fuel tank. At the same time, the open fire on the driver was extinguished by other fuelers. Therefore, a major fire accident that caused car crashes and deaths and endangered the personal safety of the gas station and surrounding areas was avoided.
Brief analysis: This accident was caused by the fuel tank caused by electrostatic discharge on the customer's body. It can be seen that there are some hidden dangers of static electricity that we cannot control and cannot prevent. In this accident, if there is no ordinary fire fighting knowledge and skills learning, there is no fueler to calm down, the consequences of the fire are unimaginable.
Under certain conditions, a person’s body can be electrostatically charged by friction and natural environmental conditions. The “Personal Electrostatic Eliminating Alarm” device is designed to prevent the accumulation and accidental discharge of static electricity from a person's body.